Even though Florida doesn’t experience the extreme change of seasons that many other states do, it’s still important for Sunshine State homeowners to perform seasonal maintenance on their homes. The need for this type of maintenance is especially important for homes that are often unoccupied. In addition to purchasing vacant property insurance, one of the best ways you can protect your investment by performing seasonal maintenance.
Here are some recommendations for performing seasonal maintenance on your property to keep it safe, comfortable and running well all year.
Perhaps you remember your parents or grandparents moving the furniture and giving the house a thorough cleaning every Spring, whether it needed it or not. Chances are, it did need it, and your home does, too. Here are some recommendations for this all-important cleaning and maintenance season.
- Replace batteries in and test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clean ceiling fans, as well as smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clean and inspect refrigerator coils
- Schedule professional HVAC inspection/service
- Clean all gutters and downspouts
- Check fire extinguishers/replace any that are out of date
- Clean kitchen exhaust hood and filter
- Pressure wash deck and other outdoor surfaces
- Inspect exterior paint and touch up as needed
- Inspect siding and masonry for damage
- Repair or replace damaged window screens
- Inspect the roof for damage
- Inspect attic for leaks
- Inspect/repair outdoor play equipment
Related Post: Go Green This Spring!
You will want to enjoy your Summer and not become overburdened with unnecessary chores; however, Summer is the best time to perform some tasks, and regular maintenance is important to prevent larger problems. Don’t forget to put these items on your Summer to-do list.
- Reverse ceiling fans to better recirculate cool air
- Inspect your foundation for drainage problems
- Inspect basement or crawl space for water intrusion, leaks or past flooding
- Inspect/treat for pests
- Regular yard/landscaping maintenance
- Outdoor painting tasks
- Major renovations or yard upgrades
All the things you opened up for Spring and Summer now need to be closed up and prepared for Fall and Winter. Here are some suggested actions:
- Drain sediment from/inspect/have routine service on hot water heater
- Insulate exposed pipes outdoors, in basement or crawlspace
- Schedule a professional furnace inspection
- Schedule a professional chimney inspection/cleaning
- Remove or cover window air conditioners
- Inspect and clean chimneys for winter use
- Ensure all windows and doors seal properly to prevent water intrusion and air flow
- Turn off the outdoor water supply, remove and store hoses
- Remove any gathering yard debris
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the property
- Hammer down or replace loose decking and fasteners
- Reseal deck for wet weather protection
- Cover or store outdoor furniture
- Reseal asphalt or concrete driveways for wet weather protection
Winter months are for staying warm and dry inside, but there are still some interior tasks to perform. Keep up with these items:
- Test GFCI outlets
- Clean dryer vent to exterior
- Check sinks and toilets for leaks
- Inspect hoses on the washing machine, dishwasher and ice maker for leaks
- Change direction of ceiling fans to better recirculate heat
- Test sump pump
Home ownership can keep you busy with preventive maintenance tasks, but the correct insurance policy provides you with peace of mind about your investment. Vacant homes or rental homes require different coverage types than your primary residence. You may need vacant property insurance if you only live in your home part of the year. Inquire about which type you need for the best protection today.
American Integrity Insurance is committed to providing Florida homeowners with sound, comprehensive insurance coverage and an extraordinary customer experience. We strive to be a valued partner to our policyholders, agents, and community.
We offer traditional and high valued homeowners insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, and the special coverage required for vacant homes, manufactured homes, and policies designed for those who need less coverage or are renting out their home. We also offer extra protection, including flood insurance, umbrella insurance, golf cart insurance, boat insurance, cyber coverage and identity theft protection as well as equipment breakdown coverage, to help address a broad range of needs facing Florida homeowners today.