First Steps After a Loss
We are sorry that you have experienced loss or damage to your home. We know this can be a stressful and confusing time, and we want to help you get on the road to recovery as soon as possible. In order to make the claims process as smooth as possible, here are a few suggestions:
After a loss:
- Make sure your family is safe. If your home is unlivable, keep receipts for any expenditures you incur – they may be reimbursable if your loss is covered
- Contact us as soon as possible at 1-866-277-9871. You can also file a claim online. Choose licensed and bonded contractors – our adjusters can assist you with this process.
- If the structure of your home will allow you to safely do so, take reasonable steps to prevent further damage to your home.
- Take pictures of the damage.
- Locate your home inventory list. If you do not have one, create a list of damaged items and include as much information as possible (model numbers, manufacturer’s name, receipts, and photographs).
- Do not throw damaged parts away, or allow your contractor to remove them, before your adjuster has a chance to inspect them – reviewing the damage is a crucial part of the claims investigation process.
- Get an estimate from a contractor of your choice. To provide the best service, we have partnered with Hancock Claims Consultants to assist you with finding a contractor to help with repairs of all types.
- When it comes to personal property, there is Actual Cost Value and Replacement Cost. If your items are insured at Actual Cost Value, reimbursement includes depreciation. Every policy is different.
- If there has been a theft, notify the police immediately and ask for a copy of the police report.
Your adjuster is your guide through the claims process. Ask questions. We are here to help.