Hurricane Preparedness Florida | When a storm is threatening to hit, the shelves of local grocery stores can quickly become bare. During an emergency, the packed aisles of a supermarket can be frustrating to navigate. To keep your list short and trip smooth, here are 10 items you won’t want to leave behind:
- Water: The National Hurricane Survival Initiative advises residents to store one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days. However, it’s important to note that kids, nursing mothers, and ill people may need more.
- Ready-to-Eat Food: In case of a power outage, stock up on foods that don’t require refrigeration, preparation, or cooking. Lean towards foods that’ll provide you with plenty of energy, such as protein bars in case you have to go a long time without eating or are spending time on manual labor for post-storm cleanup
- Medications: After making sure you are stocked up on any prescriptions you may need, don’t forget to pick up over-the-counter medications such as pain relievers for headaches or antacids for an upset stomach.
- Toilet Paper: You wouldn’t want to run out of this on a good day.
- Battery-Operated Electronics: Power outages are likely to occur in the worst of the storm and can vary on when they will end. A battery-powered radio is key for keeping tabs on the storm. Also, for those long nights, keep a flashlight handy.
- Pet Food: Your furry friends need to eat, too! Stock up on their familiar dishes, and make sure their vitamins and medications are in order.
- Baby Essentials: Whether for your own child or a friend’s that may be staying with you, pick up infant essentials such as formula, diapers, bottles, and powdered milk.
- Non-Electronic Entertainment: Most of the ways we entertain ourselves these days requires electricity. Pick up a few board games and books to avoid getting stir crazy in a prolonged power outage.
- A Map of the Area: If your smart device runs out of battery in the event of a power outage, a map will help you navigate around town or to a local shelter if needed.
- Cash: Before heading back to your car, stop at the ATM. Cash becomes king after a storm due to the possible outage of credit card machines.
Although you can’t pick it up at a store, American Integrity will be here to assist you and your loved ones before, during, and after the storm. Our 24/7 claims hotline is dedicated exclusively to assisting those impacted by a large, catastrophic event. Call 844-MyAIIC1 or you can file a claim online using our Claims Portal
American Integrity Insurance is committed to providing Florida homeowners with sound, comprehensive insurance coverage and an extraordinary customer experience. We strive to be a valued partner to our policyholders, agents, and community.
We offer traditional and high valued homeowners insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, and the special coverage required for vacant homes, manufactured homes, and policies designed for those who need less coverage or are renting out their home. We also offer extra protection, including flood insurance, umbrella insurance, golf cart insurance, boat insurance, cyber coverage and identity theft protection as well as equipment breakdown coverage, to help address a broad range of needs facing Florida homeowners today.